Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day 9: August 2nd, 2009

Las Vegas to Denver

This was another really long day of driving. Overall, I didn’t mind the long drives. After long days of walking they were a nice break, and if it was Vince’s turn to drive, I was able to jot down notes from the trip or read in the book I brought along, Jay McInerney’s How It Ended.

Our destination for the night was the house of an old friend, Henry Willis. Henry was on the drumline with Vince and me at Shawnee Mission South High School and moved to Denver about five years ago. We hadn’t seen him in three years, so we were definitely excited.

We got to his house in Lakewood (about 10 minutes from downtown Denver) and laughed and told stories for about an hour before deciding to get a drink at Pifler’s, a nearby bar. There we met up with his girlfriend. I wish I could remember her name, but anyway, she was super cool and very funny. We had a couple drinks and just laughed and had a great time. It was maybe even my favorite night of the whole trip. While seeing sights, shows, and celebrities can be great fun and very memorable, it’s hard to beat catching up with a great friend you haven’t seen in years.

That’s something that gets me excited about being the age that I am (23). A lot of friends are moving all over the country, and I will soon be too (planning to move to Chicago in a couple months). It’s sad to see people leave, but also exciting to know I have friends all over the country, and living at the time I do, with Facebook and other websites like it, I’m able to keep up with them easily and on a road trip like this, maybe even see of them.

That’s definitely something I’d like to do more of on future road trips, see various friends around the country.

Thanks to Henry for putting us up for the night and showing us a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment